Saturday, July 01, 2006

Handbags & hand grenades

Actual argument on Saturday July 1st when leaving Vermont.

Shelby "Are you going to make a bottle for the car ride home for Charlotte?"
Michael "Yes...where is the formula?"
Shelby "In the diaper bag! How many times do I have to tell you where things are?"
Michael "Which diaper bag?"
Shelby "Michael there is only ONE diaper bag we brought to Vermont!"
Dad "The green one?"
Shelby "I swear to God! The pink one"
Michael "Obviously there is more than one diaper bag. The only diaper bag I know is the green one I bought you when you were pregnant. The pink one must be the 'new' diaper bag."
Shelby "The pink one is the only diaper bag we have with us"
Michael "So that is the new diaper bag? What about the green one? Im going to get luggage tags for you to name all of your bags. I don't care what you name them as long as they have names so I know what bag to get.
Shelby "They already have names. The pink on is the Vera Bradley Paisley bag."
Michael "No you have 5 Vera Bradley paisley bags. That doesn't help. You need to name it. Wilma or something so I can remember."
Shelby "Michael you still won't remember. When I call the name of the bag you are going to have to run around the house checking all of the name tags on the bags until you find the right one"
Michael "that's fine with me, at least I will get the right bag for you."


Shelby has at least 20 bags. In her mind if she puts diapers in the bag it suddenly becomes a diaper bag. This makes it very difficult for dad. He bought her a real diaper bag, but she doesn't use it for diapers. And the canvas beach bag we have? That is now a toy bag even though in dad's mind it's the canvas beach bag. So confusing the life of a father.

Diaper bag. Not to be confused with the diaper bag below.


New diaper bag even though the bag is not new.

No comments: