Friday, August 24, 2007

Daddy Daughter Dinner

To my daughter Charlotte,

Thank you for going alone to dinner with your father. Mom had last minute plans to go out with Kelly, and frankly, she could use a night out. Instead of us just ordering in pizza, we thought it would be nice to spend some quality time alone together. Dinner wasn't elaborate, just fish and chips for dad and a hotdog and fries for you at Putnams. I like it there because they also think you are adorable and because it was where you first called me Da-Da. On the way we listened to Jack Johnson and Ben Harpers rendition of With My Own Two Hands. We had the stereo turned up really loud and we sang along. I love that song because it reminds me of you and in my head its our theme song. I hope you grow to like it as much as much as I do.

Mom helped us out by packing a bag with treats and wipes and your other stuff in it while I got you dressed and ready. The first dress I put you in was so incredibly small and short. I cant believe how fast you are growing on me. There was no way I was about to let you out of the house with a dress THAT short. Remember this when you are 13. I am sure we will end up having fights about what is appropriate and not. You are my little girl and always will be, no matter how old you are.

You were spectacular at dinner. We colored in the pictures of Elmo and Nemo and Cookie Monster that I drew on the place mat. We counted numbers and we practiced our colors by nameing off the colors of the crayons. I know its tough for kids to not only remember the name of the object, but also to use an adjective to describe said object. Thats my theory and I am sticking with it. You say the word Yellow perfectly. It took me until I was 6 to say the word correctly.

Once we got home you wandered the house for a little while asking for Momma. You make it very clear how much you love her. And the dogs for that matter because as we pulled into the driveway you kept saying Abi Abi Abi. As usual Abigial and Oliver were at the door to greet you when we returned.

Soon after, we started our nightly bedtime ritual of bath, brushing of your teeth, getting you into your pj's, and then sitting on dads lap with a bottle. I love that you sit with me and let me pat your head while I read to you. Tonight you let me read Daddy Hugs to you and I Went Walking. I was happy because for the past two weeks you wanted to read nothing but If You Give A Pig A Party. I like the book but I can only read it so many times. And while we are on the subject, you have made me watch the beginning of Finding Nemo 100 times in the past week. I have no idea how it ends and hope one of these days you will sit with me to watch the whole movie.

Tonight you went to bed like an angel. You gave me your bottle when you were done drinking the milk and kept asking me to move the butterfly mobile. I picked you up out of the crib and let you touch the butterfly. Your whole face lit up and you were so excited to finally touch it. I gave you a giant hug and an extra kiss for mom then put you down in your crib. You said Night Night and I closed the door behind me.

I hope you have a peacefull night.

Love,
Dada

ps. We have also been practicing making our faces. Sad, Angry, Silly, and of course working on our million dollar smile. Check out the pictures.
SILLY
ANGRY
SAD
SMILE


You and I making silly faces before we went to dinner together:




Mom and Kelly before girls night out at Mangia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great letter to your little girl. She will always know just how special she is to you, and that's an important thing for a little girl.

I love that smiling photo. Just precious!!

Amy said...

So sweet! Shelby - love the hair!
Love A,C,H and h