Friday, December 07, 2007

An open letter to our daughter

It is hard to believe that you are two years old. I still remember the moment you were born like it happened yesterday. After you were born I got to hold you, swaddled in a blanket to keep you warm. I brought you over to your mother to see, my first proud "father" moment. Music was playing in the background and the lights in the operating room were blinding. Your big brown eyes were wide open and you just looked at both of us as if you were stolen from your warm safe place and placed into our arms. After a few minutes the nurses took you away to bathe you and I was told to go wait in the room while the doctors finished with your mother. I have never felt so alone standing there in an empty room. Without my wife and without you. Finally a nurse came in and said I could "see you now".


I walked into the nursery and there you were, being washed by a nurse. Screaming and crying. Shivering from being cold. My heart dropped to the bottom of my stomach because I just wanted to hold you. They must have seen the look in my face because they quickly handed your swaddled body over to me. I was allowed to hold you again and bring you to your mother, who was now recovering from surgery in the same room I stood alone in moments before.


It was cold outside. The sun now shining through the blinds in the window. You mother held you in her arms and your father began to sob with happiness at the sight of you with your mother. Our little family. The family I would do anything for. The family that people could only dream of having. We started calling everyone to tell them the news of a beautiful little girl.


I am so proud of you today. You have started to grow up before our eyes and are turning into beautiful little girl. You are so independent that it is scary. Not wanting to hold our hands when walking in parking lots with traffic. You want to do everything on your own and you make it very clear.


Your smile and your laugh is infectious, just like your mothers. You are so much alike. You both love to giggle and play together. Your mother is your jungle gym. You climb all over her, you want her to constantly hold you and tickle you. She doesn't mind since you are her little angel.

It's hard to believe all the changes you have made in this one year. Looking back at pictures from just a year ago we can see the physical changes. Emotionally you have given us so much more than we could ever expect. You brighten the dark moments in our lives and you help keep us focused on what is really important in life. Family.

Thank you for being such a great daughter. We love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to our very favorite niece and cousin! We love you.

Love,
Auntie Tiff, Uncle Ian, Liam and baby Chase.

Amy said...

Happy Birthday Charlotte!! I remember reading your parents blog 2 years ago that you had arrived! Hope you have a wonderful birthday! Love A,C,H, and h