Sunday, December 02, 2007

Sinter Klaas

(I am prefacing this entry because two people read this and didnt understand what we were talking about. Im not sure why aside from the fact they might have been drinking. So I will start by telling you we went to a Christmas party at our friend Katrina and Carls. Katrina's immediate family is from Germany & Holland, Carl's immediate family is from Germany. So their upbringing is very german/dutch , deep in the cultural traditions of the Netherlands. With that being said continue on with the post. If you have quesitons please refer to the following link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas)

Ok we all know of Santa Claus but Sinter Klaas? Sounds like a sinister rip off of 'ol Jolly Saint Nick. In reality Sinter Klaas is the original Santa Claus which brought us the americanized version of the fat guy in the red suit with reindeer. Sinter Klass is the european version of Santa, originating in the Netherlands. Why is any of this important you ask? Because Charlotte got to meet Sinter Klaas and his helper named black Peter, at a Christmas party at Katrina and Carls house this weekend. If I didnt tell you all of that, you would of been wondering what on earth I was talking about. Thanks Katrina and Carl. Who would expect anything less from those crazy dutch.

Here is Sinter Klaas arriving from Spain with his helper Peter. Spain? Yes that is where Sinter Klaas lives in the off season. Why Spain? No one seems to know. I told you the dutch were nuts. He is carrying his big red book which has a record of each childs behavior from the year. Those that are good get presents. Those that are bad get a switch to the rear.



Sinter Klaas. Yeah, the hat is a little different than we are used to.
Carefull or Peter will give you the switch to the rear! Luckily Charlotte was good all year long (wink wink)
Dad and Charlotte watching every move of Sinter Klaas and his buddy Peter.
Have you been good all year Charlotte?



Charlotte was enthralled by the whole thing. We werent sure if she was going to cry or smile. But when Sinter Klaas asked if she was good all year she replied with a resounding YESSSS!! Good enough for me (she must have forgotten about the time she wrote all over herself with the Sharpie marker or the time she had a temper tantrum and spit all over the floor). Sinter Klaas let those slide. Thanks buddy.

After the candy and treats, Charlotte had a blast being carried around the house by Nico. I think they have a little crush on each other. Charlotte has a thing for boys that speak Italian. Boy are we in trouble!


Mr Nico and Miss Charlotte


3 comments:

Amy said...

Okay...I've had to read the post 3 times before I figured out what you were talking about...then the pics put it all together for me! Ha! Charlotte has the most adorable clothes ever!!! If by some insane freak of nature Chris and I find ourselves prego with a girl...I want dibs on that outfit!! Love Amy

The Snyder's said...

I read it a couple of times and still don't get it am I missing something?????

The Snyder's said...

I didn't think there was anything to it...but when I read Amy's post I thought something went right over my head! Thanks for explaining Michael!!!