Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas 2006

Merry Christmas to everyone. Its easy to get so caught up in rushing around to buy gifts and to get everything decorated. Unfortunately I think most of us really lose sight of the "real Christmas". I think sometimes we all really need to be reminded of the true spirit of Christmas. Its not about the size of your house, the number of gifts you purchase, its about the size of your heart and the amount of compassion you have for others. I have to admit I get caught up in the whole holiday just like everyone else. Then I see something and it hits me. How lucky I am to have everything that we have. We have a house. We have food. We have gifts. We have faith. There are so many people that have lost everything. Homes. Family. Jobs. Faith. Its easy to lose the last one when you have lost everything else.

How many times have we all dropped down on our knees and "prayed to God" for something. Or did use usual bargaining with God. "God please let me just get through the day and I will be a better person." Or God please make it better and I Will go to church every Sunday. How many times have we all done that and not lived up to our end of the bargain? We are all guilty of it. When Shelby was told she had pollups in her Gallbladder and it needed to be removed, I prayed that night. Prayed to God they were something more serious. I prayed please don't take my wife from me. Please don't take Charlottes mother away from her. I promised I would go to church every week.

When the biopsy came back we found out Shelby was fine. We were both relieved. I thanked God again for listening to me. For answering my prayers. Of course I never lived up to my end of the bargain but it didn't matter at that point. My faith in Him was restored.

Those of you that know me know that I am not a religious person. The science background in me fights with religion on a regular basis. Do I believe in Creationism? No. Do I believe I have to go to church every Sunday to be saved? No. Redardless do I believe in Jesus? Yes. What I do believe in is that you have to have faith. No matter what your religion. Sometime you have to be non-PC and express your believes and faith so that others may also understand and have the same faith.

So while everyone is enjoying all of their gifts this Christmas please take a moment to look around at what you have. Remember those that have nothing and take a minute to be thankful to God for giving you understanding and compassion this Christmas. Take a moment to be humbled, to drop to your knees and pray. If it weren't for Him, we wouldn't be celebrating this amazing holiday.

Merry Christmas.

No comments: